Pages

Thursday, August 15, 2013

Best public art from both 3 Rivers Arts Fest and Penn Ave Fest

This took a little longer because of that episode with that annoying Chip Dupont person but I try to take some pictures at the various arts festivals and pick my own Best of Show. Afterall, who can stop me because we live in a Free Country, allegedly.

There was actually two arts festivals that were kind of happening at the same this year. There was the 10 day Three Rivers Arts Festival and also another one day arts festival held by the Penn Avenue Arts Initiative that was for only one day. I think it was a Saturday. But I actually thought the art was better at the Penn Avenue festival, which was held mostly in Garfield. The nice thing about the Penn Avenue festival is that there are about 10 or so galleries in the Garfield area. So you can still find a lot of these very talented artists. By the way, if I didn't take a picture of your work that's not meant as a putdown. Your art just wasn't my cup of tea. Unless you're Chip Dupont. In that case not taking a picture of your work meant that I thought it kinda sucked and that I could probably do better on my computer using some Photoshop Lite suite that I got off the nets somewheres.

So anyway this was the art that I liked the most. (One note: There were a few artists whose names I wasn't able to get. Please contact me and I will link your art to the appropriate website.)


This is the work of Laura Jean McLaughlin. I found her on the walking part of the galleries in Garfield. Her site is here. I would say buy her work but I'm not sure you could afford it. And here's her cat:

Her prints are even good. These weren't on display but take a look. Not unlike Picasso or Dali being really good at sculpture although they might have been who knows. Not me.


And I hate to admit it I think my second favorite artist was Deborah Dupont. And you can buy some of her work here. But not the prints I photographed. So contact the artist by using the Internets. I just liked her hip collage sensibility.



And then there was this one. And then her blowhard husband threatened me. So that's the last pic I took. And yeah I kind of liked the African American imagery.


This isn't a piece but a really nice and stylish place to sit while waiting for the bus. It also looks sturdy. All it needs is some kind of solar lit canopy. I'm hoping Emperor Peduto orders a thousand of them. The art in the background is nice too.

If you drive around Homewood or any part of the city you might have noticed some signs that say: "Stop shooting we love you." They had an exhibit at the Three Rivers Arts Festival. There's even a story in the Post Gazette about the efforts behind this. I wish her well.


The Conflict Kitchen was also at the Three Rivers Arts Festival, along with other delicious meals that I couldn't afford. You can read about the Conflict Kitchen, which was located in East Liberty for awhile and which specializes in feeding you the food of countries that we've invaded or thinking about invading. So they have a wide menu.


I'm not sure who did this but this is a fantastic artist. I love the science fictional elements.

 And I just liked this sign in Garfield. That's a cool company name.

Nice robot art but lost the card. 



I took some other pics but I'll probably post those at a later date. I published some earlier photos here and here.



No comments: