Pages

Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Just a Few Thoughts About Mayor Bob O Connor

Sept. 2

I don't really have a lot to say about Mayor Bob O'Connor's death. I mean, he really didn't like me very much. After I gave him my card with this website on it and after writing this piece about one of the mayoral debates, I saw him several months later outside of a Northside political function. He was outside talking to some supporters I guess. As soon as he saw me, he scowled and walked back into the building where the event was being held. I actually think that's a great response--almost as good as the Rev. James Simms throwing me out of his office in the 80s--for a feisty blogger/writer to get. But I don't think it qualifies me to write misty eyed memorials to the guy. Still, sympathies to his family and loved ones.

Fester has the best roundup of stories about this.

This isn't the first Pittsburgh major that I've seen die in office. When I was a reporter for the Pittsburgh Courier (again way back in the 80s) I lived through the administration of Richard Caliguri, who also died from a rare disease. I actually liked that Mayor because he invited me into his office and gave me two front page stories. He also could have prevented the possibility of two black reps on City Council, but he didn't. Some years later the city solicitor swore that my stories in the Courier pushed him to accept the proposal that created district elections in Pittsburgh. Then again, what if the Mayor knew that he had that disease? He may have decided to leave on a note of grace. Just a thought...

I am slightly worried about the new mayor who, if I recall a 2 Political Junkies post correctly, isn't able to distinguish between our two black female city council people. Well, let's see what he does...Who knows. Perhaps I can get another mayor to scowl at me.

No comments: