Pages

Thursday, April 03, 2008

Harlan Ellison On Early Days of Science Fiction and Scientology

Below, Harlan Ellison has been drawn into the scientology debate and he's extremely uncomfortable with it. One reason I would think he's uncomfortable with it is that he's actually a big fan of Hubbard's pulp fiction. I think he's the only person I know who is. But, frankly, I respect Harlan's opinion when it comes to literary matters. Now, at the very end here he talks about how scientology got started and I must confess it makes the religion look bad. Dear Mr. Cruise: your religion was started on a financial whim. It's an amazing bit of conversation by the way and, while it wouldn't surprise me if Harlan gets this pulled in the next several weeks, I really think it shows off Harlan at his most brilliant. Man, the history that guy knows and has lived...


No comments: