Pages

Thursday, November 18, 2010

New David Brin future novella asks "What happened to American Manufacturing?"

ITEM: I am currently reading an online graphic novel called "Tinkerers" by acclaimed science fiction writer David Brin. Its futuristic theme is supposed to be about "what happened to American manufacturing?". I'm guessing the answer that David will give has something to do with reawakening the individual's gumption and so forth. As someone who's been watching American industrial policy for the last 30 years I can assure you that this has more to do with the choices made by the investor class than what individuals do, the Internet notwithstanding. Related: Have I mentioned that we're trying to ruin the Internet? World's greatest growth engine? (Here and here.) I guess we don't want the Facebooks or the Googles to succeed unless the Right gatekeepers have approved of their disruptive technologies. More Related: Or unless they become Narcs.

No comments: