Pages

Wednesday, April 06, 2005

AROUND THE TECH INTERNETS: Variations on Wind Power, Micro Air Vehicles and We're All Gonna Dieeeeee

Two "We're All Gonna Dieeeeee" Stories from Future Pundit. There's an increasing possibility that you will die from the Avian flu. The flu has an 80 percent mortality rate. He assures us that he will give us some helpful hints to survive if he's not killed by the plague. As for his second massive death scenario, Futurepundit suggests that the geological die off that happens every 60 million years or so is overdue. Could be, and this is my speculation, something that distorts the outer rim of the solar system and forces meteors and comets streaming our way,perhaps that long rumored twin star or a rogue black hole. Who knows. Just something to worry about that you can probably do nothing about--at least not without a viable space program.

Over at Worldchanging, one of the best alternative energy and development blogs, ever, has two interesting stories about wind power--which is already competitive with fossil fuels. One story involves wind turbines that look like high flying kites, or this:

The other story involves something called multi rotor wind power. And it looks like this:

The guy behind Worldchanging was interviewed at Changesurfer radio by the way.

CNN has discovered a South Korean aircar, and apparently forgotten about the French aircar, which has been around for years. We don't invest in those things here because we're evil Americans. I'm buying an eye patch meself. I practice saying Kill Iranians Syrians Bond Now! That's what evil Americans do now. Or, if commenting about the Iraqi War, I note that I mourn the 1500 Americans that have died, and ignore the thousands of Iraqis that we murdered for no good reason. That's evil. And to think I used to regret that this guy stopped writing. No more. Yeah, "Victory is Cheap" when you're not doing the fighting.
A Slacker Astronomy Podcast? I'll have to try that when I have some time...and as I was looking at that I wondered where I could find a podcast directory and that led me to this page...and that led me to Leo Laporte's new radio gig. I miss Leo. Gawd how they destroyed Tech Tv. I never watch it now.
Charlie Stross has placed his hugo nominated story online for you to read. And so I will.

Please make this available as a toy O Lord I do not believe in.
Article About Aging That Hopefully doesn't insult Aubrey personally.

Teacher and student suspended for bypassing idiotic filters.
Cory Doctorow's fave science program is now available as a mp3s and podcasts. And also from Boing Boing: Richard Kadrey offering his new novel as a free PDF. And he points you to another free book (nonfiction) called Democratic Innovation.

Now, this if funny: Lethem and Chabon to the rescue.

No comments: