Pages

Wednesday, March 16, 2005

My One Man Jihad to Implant Unionization Meme At Tribune Review Bitch Site continues..

I've been putting up more pro union propaganda at that Tribune Review gossip site. I guess they would just rather complain. Sigh.

Date Posted: 14:29:50 03/15/05 Tue
Author: Philip Shropshire
Subject: Re: another tribbie quits?
In reply to: Legal Eagle 's message, "Re: another tribbie quits?" on 03:05:15 03/14/05 Mon

"First, I don't work at the PG and I never said starting the union would be easy. It's really hard. But I think its worth it. Otherwise, you have no rights, as you've noticed. That's why people form unions by the way. They meet real life and desperately would like a better deal. In fact, I did start a union at the Pittsburgh Courier and I was promptly fired a week later. I didn't get a lot of help from the Reagan era NLRB by the way. On the other hand, people who had threatened to beat me up at the time and who didn't support us thanked me for my efforts years later...I'm actually quite proud of that...

I think organizing a union is a hard thing worth doing. You're just going to quit and get frustrated anyway. You might as well try to make your horrifically bad workplace better for the next guy.

And of course, if you did file an overtime complaint with the appropriate federal or state body, wouldn't it make sense to do it as part of a unionized effort? That way you wouldn't be the lone malcontent with a target on his or her back...just throwing it out there folks....

Philip Shropshire
www.threeriversonline.com

>Someone brought up an interesting point. It always
>makes me laugh when PG people suggest on this board
>that the easiest way to do harm to the Trib is to
>start a union. There's nothing easy abhout that, but
>filing a complaint about the Trib's blatant abuse of
>overtime laws WOULD be easy."

No comments: